Picking White Interior Paint – So Many Options!
You know, white interior paint is one of the most popular color options of 2016. It’s really not too hard to see why! While it used to be considered cold, clinical, or even boring, it’s now being appreciated for what it is: an incredibly versatile option.
When you go to pick a white paint, however, you will quickly realize that the task isn’t as simple as you might have thought (or hoped). There are countless options to choose from, spanning the spectrum of warmth and brightness.
Options are great, but how do you find your white?
Finding and Using the Perfect White Interior Paint
- How Much Natural Light Does the Room Have? – Should you use a warmer or cooler white? Well, this can be largely determined by the amount of direct sunlight your room receives. For spaces that are consistently bright, try a cooler white with grey undertones. For darker rooms, an off-white that will add a little needed warmth is a good choice.
- Don’t Rely On Swatches – Sometime swatches are just too small… Try painting a few samples on larger squares of poster board and taping them to your wall. That way you can get a better sense of how the different whites interact with your lighting throughout the day.
- Mix and Match Your Whites by Layering – If you have white furniture or curtains as well, you can avoid an overly stark look by mixing whites that are warmer and cooler, creamier and crisper.
- Play with Contrast – White and black may be opposites, but they work together beautifully to offer a timeless style.
- Modern or Classic? – For a more modern look, pick colder, crisp, and glossier whites. For a more aged and lived-in feel, try a softer vanilla.
We also would suggest utilizing a site like Houzz.com to see what others are doing in their homes, maybe uncovering a little practical inspiration.
At the end of the day, the goal is to love your walls. Find an option that you feel comfortable with and are excited about, and then enjoy it! And, if you live in the St. Louis area and need help with your next exterior or interior painting project, why not give us a call at Kennedy Painting? It would be our pleasure to serve you.